Almost hidden from the roads we followed around the coast, a turn-off took us down the hill to Moora Park on the foreshore, out of view from the road above. Dominating this area, Shorncliffe (formerly Sandgate) Pier. Built in 1882 at a length of 259.metres, it was extended by 91.metres in 1884 to allow additional depth for larger steam passenger ferries. Segregated ladies and men’s baths were constructed to the shore line of the pier – north and south. The pier closed after 130.years in March 2012, it being structurally unsafe. The rebuilding of the pier, completed in early 2016, has a design life of another 100 years. Despite the drizzling rain, we enjoyed the walk to the end of the pier, taking refuge for a while in the pavilion about half way. Fishing off the pier must be popular, as there are a number of fish-cleaning stations.
Moora Park extends a considerable distance along the shoreline of Shorncliffe and Sandgate. Near the pier, picnic lawned areas with some sculptures, the usual café and amenities, and a wide walkway following the shoreline northwards:
“This pathway beneath the escarpment has long been a popular promenade for generations of seaside visitors and local residents seeking the benefits of the fresh seaside air.
The walk along the foreshore from the Pier to the Baptist Church was originally called Dovers’ Walk after a Sandgate Town Council Engineer. In the 1910s an English company produced postcards from scenes around Brisbane – including Dovers’ Walk. According to legend, the young men printing the cards covered part of the “D” up to make it an “L” as a joke, and the cards came out from England as “Lovers’ Walk”. The name captured the people’s imaginations, and since then the path has been affectionately known as Lovers’ Walk.” (Brisbane City Council)