On our next leg, travelling north of Nundle we drove past the Chaffey Reservoir Dam over the Peel River. It is named to honour Frank Chaffey and his son Bill, who both represented Tamworth in the NSW Legislative Assembly between 1913-1940 and 1940-1973 respectively. A remarkable length of service by one family.
At the southern end, with the lack of rain, the land claimed by the dam has been exposed and the previous water levels exhibited on a row of old poplar trees.
In 1979 then NSW Premier the Hon. Neville Wran QC, MP, unveiled the plaque commemorating the completion of the Dam which regulated the flow of the Peel River to meet irrigation, stock and domestic requirements in the valley and augment the water supply for Tamworth. Further upgrades took place during 2011 and 2016.
From the number of recreational vehicles we saw by the water’s edge, it is a popular camping spot. The view across the water to the hills and low-lying clouds – the photos just don’t do the scenery justice.