Our excursion was nearly at an end as we made our way back towards Sydney City to catch a train back to Penrith.
The Woolloomooloo Finger Wharf, constructed 1910-1913 with a length of 410m and width of 64m was extended by about 30m in 1916 and is apparently the longest timbered-piled wharf in the world. Used for approx 70.years for the exporting of wool, it was a staging point for troops leaving for war and receiving point of new migrants to Australia. Along the length, it had two sheds between which was a covered roadway. These structures are used now as a hotel, restaurants and apartments, but retained is much of the original workings and structure. A big tick for preserving history.
To the west of the wharf, Sydney Botanical Gardens and the City; to the east, Garden Island Naval Base; and south, an icon of Sydney: “Harry’s Cafe on Wheels” – serving pie and peas since 1945.