North-west of the City of Fremantle and the Inner Harbour is Rous Head Harbour, constructed on a reclaimed sea bed area. Rous Head is purportedly named after Captain Henry John Rous who apart from many other achievements, explored the Tweed River and discovered, named and explored the Richmond River (NSW) in 1828.
Following North Mole Drive from Port Beach, past hundreds of stacked sea containers, is North Mole Lighthouse. From this area is easily viewed the WA Maritime Museum and the Port of Fremantle, Rous Head Harbour and out across the Indian Ocean to Gage Roads and Rottnest Island. Gage Roads was the location of the 1987 America’s Cup but serves as a shipping lane and anchorage for ships heading towards the Port of Fremantle.